The puppy burns his mouth and throat with batteries

Nova’s story warns of a harmful element pet owners should keep in mind this holiday season, as well as how the Pet Poison Helpline is raising awareness about pet poisons. common household risks.

Spencer Howald from London, Ontario, Canada recently arrived home to find her puppy, Nova, chewing on an alkaline battery, suffering from burns to his mouth and tongue.

“We left a bundle of batteries behind the playstation on our fireplace mantel and apparently it had fallen to the floor. We noticed a black stain on the sofa and realized Nova had chewed on one of the batteries,” said declared Howald, in an organizational release.1

“There was a puncture, the battery was leaking and it caused blisters on his tongue and gums. We called the emergency pet hospital, who directed us to the experts at Pet Poison Helpline.” , she added.

At the London Regional Veterinary Emergency and Referral Hospital, veterinary staff discovered Nova had mouth and tongue ulcers and prescribed medicine for vomiting and nausea. They also cleaned her mouth thoroughly with dental mouthwash.

The team then administered a suspension of sucralfate to help heal ulcers in the esophagus, along with GIT and an H2 blocker to reduce stomach acid production. In addition, the staff gave her pain medication and put her on a watered-down diet. They also did an abdominal x-ray which luckily revealed that Nova had not ingested any of the batteries.

“It was scary the day we brought her home,” Howald said.1 “She was crying and there was nothing more we could do. She’s doing great now, all things considered, and she’s back to her normal personality the next day. It’s really up to the pet owner to keep an eye out for these dangers. “

Nova visited her regular veterinarian a week after the incident, who found her to be in good condition.

The Pet Poison Helpline Senior Veterinary Toxicologist Perspective

“I think what was interesting about Nova’s story was how quickly her clinical signs developed. When an animal ingests piles or pierces and chews piles, it can develop these ulcers in the mouth, tongue, and esophagus. A lot of times we don’t see them for maybe 12 hours, 24 hours after, ”noted Renee Schmid, DVM, DABVT, DABT, Senior Veterinary Toxicologist at Pet Poison Helpline and Head of Veterinary Medicine and Professional Services, in an interview with dvm360®.

“In [Nova’s] case, she had a significant peeling of the tongue just a few hours after chewing [the battery]. So it was something that we found really interesting that she reacted so quickly to the alkaline substance and the extent of the damage it suffered, ”added Schmid.

Schmid explained that a pet chewing or swallowing batteries is a common call the Pet Poison helpline receives, stating: up to chewing those batteries too.

“Especially at that time of year when you start to dabble in Christmas presents, the different decorations around the house or toys that make noise and things like that… our calls are certainly increasing in frequency,” he said. she continued.

According to the leading battery maker, Duracell,2 the 3 weeks when the most batteries are sold during the year are Black Friday, before Christmas and after Christmas. Alkaline batteries are often used in electronic toys and can be extremely harmful to pets when ingested or punctured, causing severe damage to the tissues of the mouth, esophagus and gastrointestinal tract which can require surgical or endoscopic removal, according to Schmid.1 Although the Nova incident involved alkaline batteries, “button-sized” lithium batteries can be even more dangerous as they can be easily swallowed and cause burns from electric current from the battery.1

A few other pet vacation risks that Schmid urged pet owners to be aware of this season include chocolate, xylitol, raisins, lilies, electrical cords, glass ornaments, and oils. essential.

Toxin tails

Nova is one of 12 cases highlighted this year in the Pet Poison Helpline Toxin tails countryside. This initiative was started to educate the veterinarian community and parents of pets about the different dangers of pet poison. All animals presented in Toxin tails were treated successfully and made a full recovery.

“Toxins Tails was designed to be a community outreach tool to help educate pet owners about different things that they might not be really aware of that could be of concern to dogs or cats,” he said. Schmid said, adding: “We wanted to deliver something that shows real stories, something that really happened, but had a positive and healthy outcome.

Vote for your favorite Toxin Tales story here: petpoisonhelpline.com/vote

Reference

  1. Probing the dog burns his mouth and throat with alkaline batteries. Press release. Pet poison helpline. December 8, 2021. Accessed December 8, 2021. https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/probing-pooch-burns-mouth-and-throat-on-alkaline-batteries-301439701.html
  2. Holiday toy shoppers always forget to buy batteries, new survey finds. Press release. Procter & Gamble. November 19, 2014. Accessed December 9, 2021. https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20141119006579/en/New-Survey-Finds-Holiday-Toy-Shoppers-Still-Forgetting-to-Buy-Batteries

About Hector Hedgepeth

Check Also

Can sustainable initiatives benefit your team’s mental health as well as the environment?

Sustainability in its truest sense is much more than just an environmental issue. It is …