CCPLab is looking to hire a Pathology Support Technician for a 7 week summer internship that will embrace our mission of extending the care of God through the ministry of physical, mental and spiritual healing.
As a pathology support technician, you will:
• Provide technical and / or administrative support to the pathology department
• Receive pathology samples from the operating room, endoscopy, labor and
delivery and customer awareness
• Accession samples and preparation of tissue cassettes for the pathologist
• Prepare stained slides for frozen sections and bone marrow
• Assist with room procedures and adult / fetal autopsies as needed
• Ensure and demonstrate commitment to patient safety upon acceptance
samples from internal hospital departments and external physician clients.
• Demonstrate the ability to work closely with professional services
and clinical staff resolving sample handling issues, including incorrect handling
submitted samples with an emphasis on minimizing risk to patients.
• Receive all incoming calls and direct them to the appropriate person, take orders for supplies and sample pickup requests and update the call log.
• Fax patient reports to physicians / clients (receive confirmation from CoPath; record verbal confirmation from physician’s office).
• Collect slides / blocks; send by inter-departmental mail, if requested.
• Scan laboratory request forms into the document imaging system.
• Assign cases to pathologists; Distribute the slides to the pathologists.
• Perform quality checks on automatic report prints, cytology and surgical pathology report runs.
• Integration of cytology and surgical pathology cases in CoPath.
• Resolve problems with samples, lab requests and ordered tests, including making phone calls and faxing customers for resolution.
• Send samples for testing, fax reports to customers, document image results.
• View the fax log for errors and send it back to the customer.
• Distribute internal mail and incoming faxes appropriately.
• Minimum high school diploma required
• Experience in pathology, autopsy or raw room in a laboratory and / or hospital
• Administrative experience in a medical environment
At Adventist HealthCare, our job is to take care of you. We do this by offering:
• Work-life balance through non-rotating shifts
• Recognition and rewards for professional expertise
• Free parking for employees
As a faith-based organization, with over a century of caring for communities in the Maryland area, Adventist HealthCare has earned a reputation for high quality and compassionate care. Adventist HealthCare was the first and is Montgomery County’s largest health care provider.
If you want to make a difference in someone’s life every day, consider a position with a team of professionals who do just that, make a difference.
Join the Adventist HealthCare team today! Apply now to be considered.
Full time, Monday to Friday 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. at WOMC and CCPLab in Silver Spring, MD.
* On-the-job training included.
Tobacco and drugs statement
Smoking is a well-known preventable cause of death in the United States and a significant public health problem. In order to promote and maintain a healthy work environment, Adventist HealthCare will not hire job applicants who claim to be nicotine users or who test positive for nicotine and drug use.
While some jurisdictions, including Maryland, allow the use of marijuana for medical purposes, marijuana continues to be classified as an illegal drug under the federal Controlled Substances Act. Therefore, the use of medical marijuana will not be accepted as a valid explanation for a positive drug test result.
Adventist HealthCare will withdraw job offers from applicants who test positive for cotinine (nicotine) and marijuana. People who test positive have the opportunity to reapply within 90 days, if they can honestly certify that they have not used any nicotine-based product in the past ninety (90) days and that ‘they pass the follow-up tests.
Equal employment opportunities
Adventist HealthCare is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We are committed to attracting, engaging and developing the best people to cultivate our mission-centered culture. Our goal is to have a welcoming, fair and safe workplace for all employees, regardless of their background. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.