MINNEAPOLIS (AP) – Officials in Minneapolis and Hennepin County will spend at least $ 1 million to put up fences and other barricades ahead of the trial of the former murdered officer in the death of George Floyd.
Minneapolis officials estimate that $ 645,000 will be spent to protect the city’s five police stations, city hall and the utility building.
County officials say the initial cost of renting and installing barriers around the Hennepin County government center, where Derek Chauvin’s trial begins Monday, is around $ 420,000.
“Some in our communities may find some of the environmental structures they see – barricades and gates and fences – perhaps a little intimidating,” Minneapolis Police Chief Medaria Arradondo said at a press conference. Thursday. “But, as we saw the events of January 6, it is this preventative tool that we must consider and examine.”
Arrandondo was referring to the U.S. Capitol uprising on January 6.
Some members of the city council and community groups criticized security efforts and plans to bring in thousands of police and National Guard members, fearing this would only worsen tensions in the community, the Star Tribune reported.
Others say they want city leaders to do all they can to prevent a repeat of last year’s protests who turned violent after Floyd’s death. The unrest that started in Minneapolis has spread around the world and has led to a national race calculation.
Floyd, who was black, died on May 25 after Chauvin, who is white, rested his knee on Floyd’s neck as he was handcuffed and pleaded that he couldn’t breathe. Chauvin faces charges of second degree murder and manslaughter; three other dismissed officers are on trial in August.
Hennepin County is using money from its facilities services budget to cover costs. Minneapolis rulers are hopeful that they can eventually use state aid to cover expenses, city coordinator Mark Ruff said.