A vacant position for Medical Technologist – Safety Laboratory (two-year contract renewable based on performance) is available with our client, Wits Health Consortium (Wits CLS) Clinical Laboratory Services in Braamfontein, Johannesburg – Gauteng.
Clinical Laboratory Services (CLS) is a division of the Wits Health Consortium (WHC) of the School of Pathology. The main objective of the CLS is to support the teaching and research activities of the School of Pathology by providing laboratory services, diagnostic and research advice and data management support in accordance with the standards of good clinical laboratory practices (GCLP).
CLS is an accredited laboratory and has a comprehensive quality management plan to ensure adherence to the GCLP and its accreditation standards ensuring the integrity of the clinical laboratory for the care of participants in clinical trial studies. CLS has obtained ongoing certifications for SANAS (South African National Accreditation System) ISO 15189 and GCLP Accreditation through the British Qualogy Group and is also inspected annually by the Division of AIDS (DAIDS).
Main objective of the work
- Analyze, interpret and produce participant results from human samples and implement and maintain the quality management system for the laboratory
- Spencer Lister Building, NHLS Complex, Braamfontein
Key performance areasAnalyze, interpret and produce participant results
- Receive tagged and captured samples from Data Capturer
- Check and verify that the details on the tubes and labels match
- Check the suitability of the samples to be analyzed no clots, no hemolyzed
- Perform instrumental and manual tests for hematology
- Perform chemistry, serology and molecular PCR tests
- Analyze and interpret the results
- Capture manual test results on a laboratory information system (MEDITECH)
- Print test results and correlate data with the MEDITECH system
Quality assurance and control
- Monitor registrations for professional bodies and the DPC
- Perform internal and external quality controls in collaboration with colleagues
- Perform internal audits
- Report all non-conformities in the QMS to management
- Monitor and control stock levels and indicate if goods need to be ordered
- Monitor and control workflows and turnaround times
- Perform the relevant administration, i.e. filing, copying, emailing, etc.
- Report any quality control issues to laboratory management
Receipt and processing of samples (as required)
- Assist in receiving if necessary, check if the sample information matches the laboratory request form
- Decide by following the SOP if samples are suitable for analysis and processing
- Analysis of the specimen
Minimum education and training required
- National Diploma in Medical Technology or equivalent
- Discipline specific: clinical pathology
Registration with the professional body
- Health Professions Council of South Africa (HPCSA) as a medical technologist in the disciplines listed
Additional education, work experience and personal abilities desirable
- Certification in Good Clinical Laboratory Practices (GCLP) and Basic Health and Safety
- Participation in CEU courses
- Exceptional organizational and administrative skills with a working knowledge of Microsoft Office and laboratory systems (MediTech)
- Able to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Shifts are required
Minimum work experience required
- Minimum 2 years of experience as a medical technologist
- Only if you meet the minimum job and experience requirementsas mentioned above you can submit an updated detailed CV – Please apply online
- Please note that applicants who do not meet the above criteria will not be considered for the respective position.
- The closing date for all applications is June 17, 2021.
- Wits Health Consortium will only respond to shortlisted applicants.
- Applicants who have not been contacted within two weeks of the closing date may consider their application unsuccessful.
- Consistent with our objectives and employment equity plan, preference will be given to suitable candidates from designated groups as defined in the Employment Equity Act 55 of 1998 and subsequent amendments.
Please note that AJ PERSONNEL is solely responsible for advertising the ad on behalf of its client Wits Health Consortium.
AJ Personnel has no salary or other information regarding the position.