Job : 24-Jan-22
Site: At national scale
Preferred education: 4 year diploma
Salary: At the height of experience.
Who we are:
The American Physical Society (APS) is a not-for-profit organization that works to advance and disseminate knowledge in physics through its outstanding research journals, scientific meetings, and education, outreach, advocacy, and international activities. APS represents more than 50,000 members, including physicists from academia, national laboratories, and industry in the United States and around the world.
The Programs Department of the American Physical Society is seeking a Strategic Operations Manager. This leadership position will guide the operations of the department for the successful implementation of the department’s strategic plan and APS. The position is designed to help support the implementation of the department’s activities.
This position will develop operational methods to strengthen the performance of the department. The APS strategic plan. Successful performance in this position requires excellent problem-solving skills and the ability to apply a systems thinking approach. Is it you? Keep reading.
APS has a ‘remote first’ concept that promotes equal treatment and equal access, regardless of physical workplace, with the majority of staff working primarily from remote workplaces. APS values diversity and welcomes candidates from a variety of backgrounds. APS offers a dynamic work environment with exceptional total compensation including outstanding salary, benefits and excellent paid time off.
A typical week might look like this:
- Becomes familiar with the work of program staff in order to proactively identify opportunities to improve operations and propose effective solutions.
- Facilitates the hiring and onboarding processes for new employees, interns and contractors, and supports supervisors in implementing effective practices.
- Organizes the professional development of staff, including setting up a management academy and organizing training in other identified areas of opportunity.
- Ensures business continuity, including planning and managing staff transitions
- Develops department procedures to support organizational excellence and leads training and compliance efforts for organizational and departmental policies
- Maintains effective relationships with service departments through high level information sharing, problem solving, planning and coordination
- Develops and manages department budgets
- Provide expertise, guidance, and support to APS program leaders, managers, and team members to resolve complex center issues, challenges, and issues – and identify opportunities and problem-solving approaches to solve them.
- Manages executive assistance to the director
Is it you:
Education: Bachelor’s degree required, master’s degree preferred. Preferred fields of study include business administration and related fields.
Experience, knowledge, skills and abilities:
- At least seven years of professional experience in management and administration.
- Supervisory experience required. Must be able to clearly communicate expectations, monitor and evaluate performance, and hold staff accountable.
- Ability to lead collaboratively and engage stakeholders through a win-win approach.
- Exceptional problem solving skills. Ability to work with people to raise concerns, propose solutions, gain acceptance, evaluate effectiveness and make necessary adjustments.
- Demonstrated skills in project management and budget management.
- Familiarity with IT products including Google Suite, Adobe products, Zoom, Salesforce, Asana, Pardot, SurveyMonkey, or experience with similar types of software.
- Flexible, proactive, able to manage several complex projects simultaneously.
- Customer service orientation, including the ability to resolve conflicts constructively.
- Effective in managing, identifying and bringing to the fore issues that require the director’s attention.
- Strong organizational, documentation and prioritization skills.
- Strong written and oral communication skills, including abilities to engage and influence.
- Must be able to travel a few times a year.
To travel: The position may require up to 10% business travel per year to attend meetings and events.
To advance and disseminate knowledge in physics for the benefit of humanity, to promote physics, and to serve the community of physics at large, we:
- Provide a welcoming and supportive professional home to active, committed and diverse members
- Advance scientific discovery and research dissemination
- Defend physics and physicists, and amplify the voice of science
- Share the excitement of physics and communicate the essential role physics plays in the modern world
- Promote effective physical education for all
Our core values:
- The scientific method
- Truth and Integrity
- Diversity, inclusion and respect
- Partnership, cooperation and open collaboration
- Education and learning
The American Physical Society is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. It is the policy of the American Physical Society not to discriminate against or permit harassment of employees or applicants on the basis of race, religious belief, alienation or citizenship, religion, color, ethnicity, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital status, family status, protected veteran status, protected military status, physical or mental disability , sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, predisposing genetic characteristics, ancestry, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other characteristic protected by law with respect to any employment practice, including recruitment, advertising, job application procedures, hiring, upgrading, training, promotion, transfer, compensation, work assignments, benefits and/or other terms, conditions or privileges of employment , provided that the indi person is qualified, with or without reasonable accommodation, to perform the essential functions of the position. This policy applies to all employment at APS. The American Physical Society is committed to providing access, equal opportunity, and reasonable accommodations to people with disabilities in employment, its services, programs, and activities. To request a reasonable accommodation, please contact APS Human Resources.
The American Physical Society requires all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and present proof of vaccination status upon hire. If selected for employment, you will provide proof of your fully vaccinated status through our secure vaccination information portal, defined as vaccinated two weeks after receiving the required number of doses of an approved COVID-19 vaccine or cleared for emergency use by the FDA.
APS has a ‘remote first’ concept that promotes equal treatment and equal access, regardless of physical workplace, with the majority of staff working primarily from remote workplaces. We invite you to apply today!